Bercow: Ten Years On – the surveys are now closed, but the work carries on!
Since the launch of the call for evidence in January, the Bercow: Ten Years On review has been a whirlwind of activity, with the focus being getting the breadth and depth of information that we needed to inform our review. Our priority has been to ensure we enable everyone concerned about support for children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) has the opportunity to have their say, including children and young people themselves. And we think we’ve done pretty well! To date, we have gathered information via a range of different means:
- We made a call for written evidence and received a fantastic response from across the sector.
- We opened a practitioner survey which has steadily grown in responses throughout the time it’s been open.
- We provided a dedicated survey for parents and carers of children and young people with SLCN, along with materials to ensure all parents were able to take part.
- We invited children and young people themselves to share their views, giving them a range of different options for taking part.
- We developed bespoke surveys for commissioners and employers to ensure we heard their views.
- We held a series of fascinating oral evidence sessions that enabled to dig deeper into the evidence we had gathered from our surveys (transcripts of these can be found on the Bercow: Ten Years On website)
If you were able to contribute by any of those activities, or you forwarded information on to others so that they could take part, we’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you! The information we’ve gathered really will help us to make a difference. In total we have heard from almost 2,600 people.
Of course, the work doesn’t stop here… As we move on to the next phase of the Bercow: Ten Years On review there is still much activity planned. We are analysing the evidence we’re gathered through our surveys and the submissions we received and over the autumn we’ll be sharing findings in our newsletters and social media. Our analysis will now inform a range of ‘deep dive’ events, enabling us to really dig behind the data and test out what our findings are telling us. Watch this space for more information and news!
Key to the Bercow: Ten Years On will be a set of clear, accessible and sustainable expectations and recommendations. The development of these will be a core piece of work over the next few months, guided by our Decision Making Panel and supported by our advisory group.
So, although the surveys are now closed, they have provided us with the crucial information we need to inform the next phase…and we’re raring to go! To keep in touch with Bercow: Ten Years On news remember to sign up for our newsletter here, and follow #Bercow10Years on social media.
If you have any questions about the Bercow: Ten Years On review, or would like to add to our evidence, email us on: Bercow10@ican.org.uk