I CAN’s Early Talk and the Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP)
As a legacy of the Early Language Development Programme (ELDP) project, I CAN has reintroduced two training courses for early years professionals. The reintroduction is timely in light of the EYPP.
The two courses which now fall under the Early Talk training umbrella are namely Working with Under 3s and Working with Parents. The courses separately address issues faced by many early years settings; early language development, and the involvement of parents in promoting constructive communication. The courses and their outcomes were a highlight of the ELDP project and their impact has been very positive.
As a result of the ELDP:
- Early years practitioners changed the way they organised their settings, and the way they interacted with children to support early language development.
- 93% of practitioners surveyed were more knowledgeable about children’s early language development.
- 87% of parents and carers surveyed felt they knew more about/ were more confident in helping their children learn to talk.
- Parents and practitioners have reported improvements in children’s language and communication as a result of ELDP.
- 87% of parents and carers surveyed reported an increased knowledge in how to support children learning to talk, compared to a year ago.
It is fantastic that the excellent outcomes of the ELDP project can be replicated through the Early Talk courses, and I CAN hope to reach as many children as possible. With the introduction of the EYPP there may be even more opportunity to do this as the funding can be used in many ways, for example; improving the quality of a setting; training staff to be more able to support children with extra needs; or providing resources and interventions that help children to catch up with their peers. In each instance the settings can decide for themselves how to spend the money but will need to show Ofsted that what they have used it for makes a difference.
You can read more about the Early Years Pupil Premium here – available now to help the most disadvantaged 3 and 4 year olds in early year’s settings.
If you want to find out more information on Early Talk training please contact us on email@example.com or 0207 843 2515 and we will be happy to help you.